She Knows (Super Pop Edit)

Happy 80th Birthday John Lennon! The song "She Knows" was a song that opened doors for me. It was a love song for my wife and then girlfriend, Annie, and it caught the ear of many people once we recorded it. It has a simple lyric and a nice melody... a chorus melody that is so high I could never sing it now!! I had a problem with the way the recording went down tho and here is that story. I had been working at Bear Tracks on a production deal and we had recorded all of the tracks and were set to mix the song after I returned from a vacation to Aruba. When I got back I learned that co-producer, Chris Bubacz, had taken it upon himself to call in a mixer and extend the song almost a full minute by adding a Conga sing along section in the last chorus!! Surprise, surprise! Needless to say I was PISSED! While I was happy Chris called in super talented mixer, Earl Cohen, as well as Spyro Gyra's excellent drummer Joel Rosenblatt to play Congas, I was not happy about the added time onto what was supposed to be a single, especially without talking to me. Singles usually need to clock in under 4 minutes and the song was now closer to 5! This super long version ended up going on the record "Ballyhoo" and was sent to a bunch of labels and still managed to get some interest despite the length. At some point I contacted my friend and producer Dave Schwartz and asked if we could fix this monster on our own. He agreed to edit the song down to it's original length and also agreed to record more backing vocals to really take the choruses to peak pop condition. I'm not sure if he or I sang the extra harmonies but whoever sang did an excellent job and it really lifted the song up. I may still try to get this song out there to another artist as it is a good one. Click here to hear the edited super pop version of "She Knows." Dave Ramie played drums and Ed Koslowski played B3 Organ.

Comments

Popular Posts